The QEXCA owns and operates two, natural ice, outdoor skating rinks:
Achs Park Rink 102 Elm St. at McPherson Ave.
Queen Elizabeth School Rink 1905 Eastlake Ave. at Taylor St.
See the rinks in a December 14, 2020 Global News interview with our Director, Rink Operations, Josh Remai.
Work Bee Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 – 10:00 a.m. Meet at Queen Elizabeth Rink.
We just need to do some basic prep at both rinks:
1) Mow the lawn short and rake up any large debris
2) Whipper snip around the edges
3) pick up garbage
4) check the boards and re-screw or replace any that might need attention.
Who can make it and who can bring a lawn mower /whipper snipper? To help with this project, email email@example.com.
We need a few more volunteers this season. Do you like skating?
Can you spare about 3hr. /month? We’re looking for help to flood and shovel the ice to keep it at its best – and/or – to supervise public skate times.
If you can help, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The rinks are available daily from mid-December to mid-March – weather – and pandemic restrictions – permitting.
The lights will be on from dusk until 10:00 p.m.
All activities on and around these rinks are at your own risk.
The heated shack, at each rink, will be open during Supervised Public Skating.
Supervised Public Skating will be cancelled if the temperature falls below -25O C (with the windchill) or rises above 0O C. Check the weather.
Supervised Public Skating Times For the 2022 – 23 season
Saturdays 1:00 to 3:00 p.m at both rinks
QEXCA wants everyone to have an enjoyable skating experience. In the interest of safety, sportsmanship and consideration of all participants (particularly children), staff and guests, we ask all parties to respect the ice, the shack, the park and each other. Therefore, we have a few rules.
- Be careful! There will be slippery surfaces all around the rink and shack.
- Always wear a helmet while on the ice.
- Horseplay is not permitted in or around the rink or shack at any time.
- Abusive language or violence against anyone, will not be tolerated.
- Food and drink are not permitted on the ice at any time.
- Alcohol, tobacco or cannabis are not permitted on the ice or in the shack at any time.
- Sticks or pucks are not permitted on the ice during Supervised Public Skating.
- Proper skate aids are permitted for novice skaters only.
- Strollers or improper carrying of children that may put them in danger
are not permitted on the ice at any time.
- Parents are responsible for conduct of their children.
- Pets are not permitted on the ice at any time.
- Remove all your garbage to leave the site cleaner than you found it.
Rinks Emergency Contacts
The Emergency Light will stay on continuously when the temperature, in the shack, drops low enough potentially to allow the water service pipes to freeze and rupture.
If the Emergency Light of either rink is on, please:
Email email@example.com and call:
Weekdays during working hours call 306-975-2476 (City of Saskatoon Customer Service) or 306 975-3378 (City of Saskatoon, Recreation and Community Development Branch) Evenings and weekends call 306-956-6022 (answering service)
The Achs rink Emergency Light is on the east – McPherson Ave. – side of the shack.
The Queen Elizabeth rink Emergency Light is on the north – Taylor St. – side of the shack.
A Rink in each Neighbourhood
QEXCA operates the rinks in the Exhibition neighbourhood (Achs Park) and the Queen Elizabeth neighbourhood (Queen Elizabeth School).
There is a rink in the Haultain neighbourhood, as well. The rink at L’École canadienne-française, Clarence Ave. and 5th St. is owned and maintained by the school. The lights will be on for public skating after school hours until 10:00 p.m., at your own risk.